Am I an entitled millennial?

My husband and I recently moved. We headed back to an area of the country we love, suits our outdoorsy lifestyle, and has a small network of friends. I was very excited about this move!

We moved because of my husband's job. This is fantastic for a few reasons. He's really found his niche. He moved into real estate after grad school, but struggled to find the right company and position. His really loves the work he does and the people he works for. I know this because he talks about it all the time. We will drive down the street and he is telling me all the lots that are up for redevelopment and which company is working on which projects. I try to be interested, but I get off track, making up stories about the agent's name on the "For Sale" sign, giving him an alter ego and a super power. All things that will never make it to the "pitch book." (see honey, I was paying attention!) To be honest, after us dating for 4 years and married for 3, I finally figured out what he did.

I digress.

Anyway, this move put me back on the streets looking for a job. For the month we've been out here, I've been a housewife/stay at home mom while looking for work. This is problematic on two fronts. We currently do not have a home to maintain (living with friends) and we have no kids (a post for another day). I won't lie, this has created the perfect environment for day drinking, binge watching MDLNY, and unnecessary shopping - all things I have experimented with. However, for the most part I've been diligently looking for a job. I've had a few nibbles, but all things I believe I am "above".

I've been in the workforce for 11 years (technically 9 + 2 years of full time business school), have progressed nicely from "jr analyst who makes reports and pulls data" to "manager who makes reports and pulls data and can tell a cohesive story to the president with a pretty PPT." Okay, so there are some things I can't out grow, but there are others that I thought I paid my time with and will not have to revisit. That's how it was pitched to me at least... do your time as low man and gradually move up. So why does it feel like I am on the bottom rung again....should I just accept it? Should I jump into the trenches with a 20-something who just graduated? Should I be thankful someone is offering me a job, no matter what the pay and the role?

Shoot gotta run. My margaritas are frozen and MDLNY is on!

Comments